Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pick Your Battles


Here's a little something to gross you all out! Yesterday I was barefoot out on the front deck and there was a nail that had worked it's way up and I didn't see it but I sure did feel it. At first I thought that I just hurt my foot but I didn't expect to see what I saw when I looked. EEWWWW and boy did it hurt!!
I soaked it in some salt water, patted it dry, shoved the meat back in and stuck a band aid over it. It hurt alot less this morning when I got up and I could walk (hobble) a little better so I was quite happy with about it.


My grandparents and in laws both thought I should get a tetanus shot but I didn't really think I needed one and couldn't remember when I last had one but I could have had one before moving out here. I did have a prescription for the antibiotic Keflex and was prepared to have that filled if I thought it was getting infected. I talked to my mom about the shot and I looked up what Tetanus is..............it is something you definitely DO NOT want to have and it took me about 5 seconds to decide to call the doctor hahaa.
So I soaked it again and got it all cleaned up and put a new bandage on it and off we went. He took one look at it and said "You need antibiotic, Keflex 4 times a day for 5 days to keep infection away and also a tetanus shot."
I got my shot but I haven't filled the antibiotic yet. I think I'm going to wait and see if I need it. Lilah has been having urinary tract infections and we're trying to build up good bacterias in her body and I started taking probiotics so she'll get them through the breast milk and if I were to take an antibiotic that will undo everything we've been trying to do. So that will be a last resort.

As a side note. I'm reading a book called Healthy Mother...Better Breastfeeding right now and they talk about how important it is to take probiotics after a round of antibiotics because the baby get's all their good bacteria supply through your milk. At day four of Lilah's life we had to go back into the hospital because of mastitis and I was put onto 4 different types of antibiotics and didn't know at the time that afterwords I should take probiotics to make sure to restore all the bacteria that we destroyed in her little system. Long story short... I think this is the reason Lilah might have been more sickly and got colds in her first year of life. Compared to other breast babies it seemed like she was getting alot more colds and runny noses than they were and even though I knew I was doing the best for my baby by breastfeeding her I kind of felt like I was being cheated out of one of the biggest benefits and I didn't know why. I wish I would have found this out sooner, but you can only do better when you know better and that's why it's always important to learn as much as you can! I won't be making this mistake with our next baby *wink wink* take your probiotics girls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment