Tuesday, October 28, 2008

home sweet home

We made it home safe and sound yesterday around 2 pm. Our flights went really good and Emmy was an angel for the whole trip and I couldn't ask for a better travel partner. We had our domestic flights with United and they really didn't make me too happy at the ticketing counter or on our flight to Chicago. First they tried to tell me that I couldn't take back 2 bags for Emmy and 2 for myself, which I did on the way over and is allowed. After we got that mess cleared up they charged me $150 for over weight baggage for my bags being 4 lbs, 9lbs, and 8lbs over. Mom and I weighted them before we left and they were around 1-3 lbs over weight so I wouldn't be surprised if they have there scales scewed a bit (jerks!). Once I made it to my gate and was ready to board they told me I couldn't take my carry on because all the over head bins were filled and they didn't have room for mine and asked if they could check it. I thought it would just be checked up to Chicago and I could collect it after my short flight and it wouldn't' be a big deal but NO... they wanted to take my baby diapers, extra outfits, tooth brush and all the extras I need for a baby on a 28 hour journey and I wouldn't be able to pick up the bag until I got all the way home to Adelaide. After a new min's of trying to figure out if I could make it work I started crying and some other United worker said "oh we'll make this work let me talk to a flight attendant to see if there is a closet to put it in." At once a nice flight attendant came out and acted shocked that they were doing this to me and said of course we can get it on board and she mushed it into an over head bin. I was so so happy!! After Chicago we flew to LA to Auckland to Adelaide. It took us an hour to get off our plane, get through immigrations and customs, collect our bags, deal with quarantine checks and my bags being inspected, and then finally out to meet Kim and my in laws. It was sooooo good to see them and to give everyone kisses. I was so excited to come home and I had the same feeling of the first time you walk into your new home! We crashed last night around 6:30 and slept until 3. I'm pretty happy with that and it shouldn't be too hard for us to move our body clocks an additional 3-4 hours. It has been much easier traveling back here on our bodies then it was to go back to the states. Emmy was very clingy to me once we got out of the airport but has been very happy to play with her daddy since she's got up this morning. I have lots of things to put away....duty calls.

Oh.... I wasn't doing to bad until I talked to both my mom and grandma this morning and now I'm feeling pretty sad and teary and missing them already. I know in a couple of days I'll get back into the swing of things and feel a bit better but I'm already looking forward to when my mom can come out and visit me here again!

Thanks for the wonderful trip Grandpa, Grandma, and Mom! Also to my good friends who went out of there way to spend special time with Emmy and I! Hugs and Kisses


  1. YAY! So glad you made it back ok! I was thinking about you 2 during my travel day as well :) So glad she did so good! So sad I didn't get to see you though! :(

  2. You've been tagged!